New Publix prepares for summer opening

Correction: This article has been updated to reflect that the Publix will be located at 203 NW 13th St.

Within three months, Gainesville will see the opening of its 13th Publix.

The new grocery store, at 203 NW 13th St., near the intersection of West University Avenue and Northwest 13th Street, will open once construction and stocking are both complete, Publix spokesperson Dwaine Stevens wrote in an email.

The Publix, designed to be campus-oriented, will also include a pharmacy, a Starbucks and a lounge area, Stevens wrote. The parking lot will have 63 car spots, four handicap car spots, 32 scooter spots and two spaces for motorcycles.

The supermarket will employ between 130 and 140 people, some of whom have already been hired, Stevens wrote.

“We look forward to continue serving the university community and the city of Gainesville,” Stevens wrote.

UF architecture sophomore Arden Lambert said although she most likely won’t do her regular grocery shopping at the new Publix, because she lives near Southwest Archer Road, the new Publix will give her one more option for on-campus food.

“My studio is right here, so if I wanted to go get something healthier than Chick-fil-A or CVS, it’s a good alternative,” the 19-year-old said.

Lambert said the grocery store will be extremely convenient for those of her friends living at The Standard at Gainesville, 1404 W. University Ave., next year because they’ll be able to walk.

“They’re super excited about the Publix,” she said.

Contact Molly Vossler at mvossler@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @molly_vossler