New rankings place eight UF programs in the top 10 across all global universities, with UF’s entomology and nematology department ranked first in the world.

The Center for World University Rankings, based out of Saudi Arabia, compiles rankings for top programs based on the amount of research published in top-tier academic journals and released their rankings Monday, said UF spokesperson Steve Orlando.

Business First, a group based out of Buffalo, New York, ranked UF No. 12 in the nation among public universities Tuesday, referencing high test scores and selectivity.

Orlando said although the organizations use different criteria to rank schools, he expects UF to continue scoring high in the future.

“As the university continues to rise in stature and preeminence, we are hopeful you will see these kinds of rankings,” Orlando said.

In the Business First results, the University of Michigan ranked No. 1, and Florida State University — the only other Florida university ranked — placed No. 29, according to the organization’s website.

Blair Siegfried, the chairperson of UF’s entomology and nematology department, said the department succeeds because of strong graduate students and faculty.

“The quality and recognition of our research is really a matter of us being able to work with graduate students and train good students that go on to be successful,” he said.

Siegfried said the department has been working in vital areas like mosquito control and protecting biodiversity, which helped them to be noticed.

“We do a lot of good things, and it’s nice to be recognized,” he said.

Contact Romy Ellenbogen at rellenbogen@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @romyellenbogen