Local artists and musicians come together to ‘Keep Art Alive’

<p dir="ltr">Local artist Brian Wilson’s painting on display at High Dive’s Arts Market on Saturday evening. Wilson said that his paintings represent the energy of a place, individual or feeling</p>

Local artist Brian Wilson’s painting on display at High Dive’s Arts Market on Saturday evening. Wilson said that his paintings represent the energy of a place, individual or feeling

Local artists and musicians came together this weekend to keep the arts alive.

On Saturday, a free arts market held at High Dive, located at 210 SW Second Ave, collected donations at the door as a way to bring art lovers together and highlight the importance of funding in the arts.

The event strived to showcase local talent, said Brian Wilson, the event’s organizer.

“Art, in whatever capacity, is crucial to the culture and dynamics of any community,” Wilson said. “A thriving art community is a sign of a healthy community.”

Wilson said community art events similar to Saturday’s can help link artists and musicians who are looking to find connections with other creative minds in the area.

“At any art event, the message should be to entertain, challenge and stimulate conversation,” he said.

Keeping the arts alive and a part of the community is vital for individual self-expression and being able to escape through creativity, Wilson said.

Pal Patel, a UF biology sophomore, hosted a henna booth at the event to help raise money for her family back in India.

“I do art to feel culture and to stay rooted,” the 19-year-old said. “Doing art is something that reminds me of India, because I can’t always go back.”

Other local artists at the arts market shared what inspires them to create their craft and pieces.

CJ Wilson, a 64-year-old Gainesville resident (of no relation to the event’s organizer), showcased her handmade, knit dolls at the art market.

“Art is healing, and it helps when things are getting really bad,” she said. “Knitting and sewing was a stress relief for me. It helps me feel better.”

Tom Miller, a local artist and musician, emphasized the importance of markets where creative people can view each other’s work.

“Of course everybody should go to it and share it with other people,” Miller said. “You have to get out to the streets and remember there’s a real world out there besides our devices.”

He said whether people create art or not, it’s alive.

“It’s important for people to engage with art and to become a part of cultural memory,” the 51-year-old said.