A new Asian bakery, Sweet Buns Bakery, will open next to Yummy House on Tuesday to give the crowds what they want: pineapple buns.

The bakery will open next to its parent business, Yummy House, located at 3102 SW 34th St., and offers a variety of Asian pastries, including crepe cakes, egg tarts and 120 types of buns, which are mildly sweet, fluffy breads, said John Zhao, the general manager. The bakery’s hours will be from 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily, beginning Tuesday for its three-day-long soft opening. Zhao said he expects to have a grand opening sometime next weekend.

During the soft opening, customers can expect specials like buy 10 buns, get one free, Zhao said. The buns will range in price from $2 to $4.50, and the cakes will be more expensive, about $3.50. All of the pastries will be baked fresh daily, including pineapple buns, Zhao’s personal favorite.

“I love buns,” he said. “I eat all kinds of buns.”

Alexi Towner, a UF linguistics senior, said she can’t wait for the new bakery to open so she can get her quick fix of pineapple buns, which are also her favorite menu items.

“As far as I know, we don’t really have something like this (in Gainesville),” the 21-year-old said.

Zhao said people have been craving this kind of food for a while in Florida, and he’s looking forward to filling that gap. The company also plans on opening a second Sweet Buns Bakery in Tampa within the next three to four months.

“In Florida, we need a good Asian bakery, we need it,” he said. “I feel like this is the right place.” 

@jessica_giles_

jgiles@alligator.org