Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A man, whose wife was found dead earlier in the day, shot himself Saturday in front of Marion County Sheriff’s Office deputies.

Joseph Gonzalez, 51, shot himself in the parking lot of a Burger King in Ocala, located at 2900 SE 36th Ave., at about 4 p.m. as officers approached his car to question him about his wife’s death, said MCSO spokesperson Lauren Lettelier.

The detectives immediately provided medical attention to Joseph Gonzalez, and he was taken to Ocala Regional Medical Center where he later passed away from his injuries, according to a press release.

Detectives were investigating the murder of Joseph Gonzalez’s wife, Stephanie Gonzalez, 39, and Jeffery Durden, 44, who were found dead at about 9:38 a.m. Saturday in a car parked at a Dollar General, located at 13842 SE Highway 42, according to the press release.

Stephanie Gonzalez and Durden both suffered from gunshot wounds. On Sunday morning, the medical examiner ruled their deaths as homicides and Joseph Gonzalez’s death as a suicide, according to the press release.

Through their investigation, the detectives were able to determine Stephanie Gonzalez and Durden were in a relationship, according to the press release.

The investigation is still ongoing, according to the press release.