Student Government SG Generic
Student Government SG Generic

UF Student Government appointed a new judicial branch head Tuesday night.

Student Senate unanimously confirmed Meagan McCarthy as the new supreme court chief justice. Student Body President Smith Meyers nominated her.

McCarthy, who served as an associate justice in 2016-2017, said she encourages students to bring forth issues to the SG judicial branch if they want the court to review them.

“I’m super excited,” McCarthy said. “I feel like there’s a lot of interesting things going on at UF.”

Senators unanimously passed a bill redistributing the number of senators for certain area and college seats based on updated population information, said pro-tempore Trevor Schaettle.

For Fall, the Rawlings area was combined with the Broward area to share a senator. District C, covering ZIP code 32607, now has seven senators instead of six.  

For spring, the Graduate Students District and College of Liberal Arts and Sciences both got an additional senator. The College of Journalism and Communications and the undergraduate freshman class both lost a senator.  

Noah Harden (Impact, Freshman) and Michael Murphy (Impact, Yulee Area) drafted a bill encouraging solidarity with the University of Virginia after the Charlottesville riots. The resolution also supported inclusivity on campus.

Senators held a moment of silence in honor of the riot victims and unanimously passed the resolution.

This resolution comes after Senators unanimously passed a resolution supporting UF President Kent Fuchs’ decision to deny white nationalist Richard Spencer’s request to rent campus space.

“We really wanted to focus on unification,” Harden said.

@taveljimena

jtavel@alligator.org