Social media campaign raises awareness, funds for brain cancer

Despite surviving cancer four times, Paul Hale battles the disease every day.

In April, the 6-foot-4 man limped into The Agency, a UF public relations firm, on crutches. He had lost a leg to cancer and was looking for help, said Andy Hopson, The Agency’s executive director. The meeting between Hale and Hopson led to the Friday launch of an awareness and fundraising campaign called #HeadstandAgainstCancer to commemorate National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month.

The campaign, which was modeled after previous social media viral campaigns such as the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, encourages people to do a headstand and challenge other social media users.

The campaign is also seeking donations to the Children’s Brain Trust Group, a charity Hale founded in 2000. The organization will donate the funds to UF’s Brain Tumor Research Program.

Kelli Kaufmann, The Agency’s business development coordinator, said headstands were incorporated because brain cancer turns your world upside down.

“It’s our way to bring light to a very serious issue,” Kaufmann said.

UF President Kent Fuchs will participate by posting a video of himself doing a headstand and challenging other “high-profile people,”  whose identities Hopson said he’s keeping secret to not ruin the surprise.

Hale, 60, said he has been raising money for his organization since he lost his son, Bret, to brain cancer 17 years ago.

He said he’s wanted to organize a fundraising effort geared for students for eight years, and heard abou The Agency through his wife, a UF journalism alumna.

He said his family has a rare genetic mutation which makes them vulnerable to cancer. As a result, he has lost many aunts, uncles and his son. His brother has also fought cancer.

“I am dedicated to doing everything I can to defeating this disease,” Hale said. “That is the only way I can justify all of the pain we’ve had to go through.”

@taveljimena

jtavel@alligator.org