Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Gainesville man was arrested outside a school for two home burglaries Monday morning, Gainesville Police said.

William Patrick Carrick, 28, broke into a home near the Oaks Mall at about 7:30 a.m., according to an arrest report. The resident, who was asleep, woke up and found Carrick in his kitchen.

“S---, I’m out of here,” Carrick said, walking past the resident and out the back door with the resident’s laptop, according to the report. The resident called police, who canvassed the area.

At 11:05 a.m., police were called about a man at Brentwood School, at 1111 NW 55th St., who was using the school’s hose to clean mud off his body. A responding officer found Carrick standing in a yard across the street from the school without a shirt and shoes.

After he was identified by the resident and arrested, Carrick confessed to stealing the laptop and a pressure washer from another house, police said.

He told officers he hated stealing but had an addiction to Xanax, according to the report.

Carrick was arrested on charges of grand theft and burglary. Authorities took him to the Alachua County Jail where he remains, as of press time, in lieu of a $130,000 bond.