Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A Hawthorne woman was arrested for driving drunk after she hit a stopped car on UF Plaza in Midtown on Saturday, Gainesville Police said.

Erica Ann Cassels, 32, was questioned by police for driving her car into a stopped car at 1700 W. University Ave. at about 3:09 a.m., according to an arrest report. A responding officer noticed her breath smelled like alcohol and her eyes were glassy and bloodshot.

Police also said Cassels slurred her words as she spoke and had trouble staying balanced while she talked and during the field sobriety test, according to the report.

Officers said Cassels was initially indifferent but became increasingly angry and verbally abusive. At some moments at the police station, Cassels would cry and then start laughing, according to the report.

Cassels’ blood alcohol content was .092 and .093, according to the report. The legal limit is .08.

Police arrested her on a charge of driving under the influence. Authorities took her to the Alachua County Jail, where she was released on her own recognizance Sunday morning.

Cassels was convicted of a misdemeanor in 2014, according to court records.

Cassels could not be reached for comment.