Library West to give out candy, prizes for Halloween

Students can trick or treat Tuesday for Halloween at Library West, no costume required.

Library West student ambassadors will host their first trick-or-treat event Tuesday from noon to 2 p.m., said April Hines, a faculty adviser.

More than 1,400 pieces of candy have been purchased, and any student can participate, Hines said.

At the library entrance, students will be given a bag and a map to guide them to the locations of five trick-or-treating stations throughout the library. The stations were chosen to highlight places in the library with resources students may not know about, Hines said.

One of the stations with candy will be the one button studio, she said.

“A lot of students don’t know about it,” the adviser said. “It’s the video recording studio that we have on the first floor.”

Hines said each station will have candy and prizes. In order to receive the candy, students must listen to two facts about the library from an employee at the station.

After visiting each trick-or-treating location, students will turn in their maps with their contact information on the back. Each completed map will be entered in a raffle for prizes like Starbucks gift cards, Hines said.

The Library West student ambassadors wanted to put on a fun Halloween event and familiarize  students with different aspects of the library, Hines said.

“I think that everyone loves the idea of trick-or-treating and has those memories of doing that,” Hines said. “I think everyone will love the idea of having a break and will get to be a kid again.”

Megan Pitt, a 19-year-old UF economics and political science sophomore, said she first heard about the event on Facebook.

Pitt said since she’ll be at the library already, she’ll take a break to trick or treat. She is excited to receive the treats from the library and hang out with her friends.

“I love free swag,” she said. “If it’s free, it must be good.”