QB questions answered: Gators’ season sits on Franks’ shoulders

<p>UF quarterback Feleipe Franks attempts to get past a defender during Florida's 38-24 win against Vanderbilt on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.</p>

UF quarterback Feleipe Franks attempts to get past a defender during Florida's 38-24 win against Vanderbilt on Saturday at Ben Hill Griffin Stadium.

One week ago, Gators coach Jim McElwain had options when it came to his starting quarterback. On Saturday, his decision was made for him.

Florida’s future is in the hands of redshirt freshman Feleipe Franks, one game after he lost his starting job. Luke Del Rio — who replaced Franks against Kentucky and started in the Gators’ 38-24 win against Vanderbilt — took a second-quarter hit that broke his collarbone and ended his season.

“Luke will be done. He’ll have surgery on Monday,” McElwain said after the game. “(I) feel horrible for him.”

It wasn’t the way that Franks, who started in the Gators’ first three games, wanted to win his starting job back.

“It’s one of those things you never want to have happen to you,” Franks said. “I’m praying for him. Everybody on the team is.”

While the Gators (3-1, 3-0 SEC) rose to the top of the SEC East standings with the win, they won’t have much time to rest before a Homecoming matchup with LSU on Saturday.

The Gators had their closest game of 2016 against the Tigers, winning thanks to a last-minute goal-line stand. To add to the storylines, Franks was once committed to play for LSU before decommitting and announcing his switch to the Gators. But he insists he won’t be thinking about that next weekend.

“I don’t get any special feelings,” Franks said. “You just wanna go out there and get the W.”

And while Franks has the starting job to himself now, it doesn’t mean McElwain won’t criticize his performance. In the past, Florida’s third-year coach has said the offense isn’t as organized under Franks as it is under a veteran like Del Rio. McElwain saw more of the same on Saturday.

“The substitutions, the personnel, the flow … I didn’t think were great,” McElwain said.

But on a positive note, McElwain had praise for Franks’ composure and ability to step in and lead Florida into field goal range in his first series.

“He’s very steady in everything he does, and I think it really showed up on that drive,” McElwain said.

Overall, Franks completed 10 of 14 passes for 185 yards. He didn’t throw any touchdowns, but he didn’t need to as the Gators relied heavily on their running backs group. Florida ran the ball a season-high 51 times for 218 yards and five touchdowns, its best game on the ground in 2017. Freshman Malik Davis shined, capping a two-touchdown day with a 39-yard dash to the end zone that ended any chance of a comeback by Vanderbilt (3-2, 0-2 SEC). Sophomore Lamical Perine found the end zone three times as well.

“Opening up the run game is going to open up the pass game as well,” Perine said. “We’re going to be real dominant when we start doing that.”

The Gators will have a chance to prove that they’re already dominant in The Swamp on Saturday with a win against an LSU team (3-2, 0-1 SEC) that has a lot to prove after losing to Troy at home.

“I’m sure that the people next week are gonna be licking their chops,” McElwain said.

You can follow Matt Brannon on Twitter @MattB_727, and contact him at mbrannon@alligator.org.