New UF student organization focuses on natural hairstyles

When Faith Morgan walked into work with hair extensions, her boss said, “Oh, thank God.”
Before then, Morgan wore her hair in a natural style when she went to work at an animal hospital. She was surprised to hear her boss express a preference for the new style over her natural hair.
“That’s how my hair looks, there’s nothing I can do about it,” the 20-year-old UF wildlife ecology and conservation junior said.
The incident, which happened in July, inspired Morgan to start a club about natural hair care. The club, Girls w’ Curls, became an official organization Oct. 30, and Morgan is the president.
Morgan said she went natural freshman year to help repair her damaged hair, but she had a hard time finding the right products to use. She hopes the club will guide other girls through hair care in a way she never had access to.
“I’ve been natural for three years now, and I’m just now figuring it out,” she said.
She also hopes to speak with the PACE Center for Girls Alachua and the Boys & Girls Club of America to help young girls love their natural hair in a way Morgan never did.
“Even at a young age, I always thought my hair was ugly,” she said. “And I feel like if I bring other girls from the club, I can show them our hair is pretty, too.”
Jae’Lyn Dorsey, a UF health education and behavior junior, said she and her friends have discussed hair care and skin care informally in a group chat. When they asked how many people would be interested in a formal club, about 50 people replied.
She said they’ll discuss things like how to keep curls moisturized, different styles and if the natural hair movement is a fad or not.
“I’m hoping for everyone to learn more about their hair and feel confident with their hair,” the 20-year-old said.