UF’s Tau Epsilon Phi faces disciplinary action for drugs, property damage

This story is developing and will be updated as new information comes.

UF’s chapter of the Tau Epsilon Phi fraternity is facing disciplinary action after serving alcohol to minors, having drugs and causing damage to a hotel room.

The fraternity had a conduct hearing on Monday and is awaiting a formal disciplinary recommendation, which will be given to the Dean of Students, UF spokesperson Janine Sikes wrote in an email. Sikes said the decision should come in the next week or so.

In August, the fraternity held an unregistered event during which alcohol was served to minors. On a trip to New Orleans in September, fraternity members had drugs and damaged a hotel, Sikes said. She did not know details about the extent of damages.

Sikes said the disciplinary action stems from at least the two incidents.

“It’s possible there were some others considered,” she said.

Matthew LaTorre, the president of the fraternity, declined to comment.

Tim Smith, the international consul for Tau Epsilon Phi Fraternity, wrote in an email that he is aware of the disciplinary action facing UF’s chapter but has not received formal documentation from UF.

“We take all allegations levied against our members seriously and respect any actions taken by the University of Florida regarding those allegations,” Smith said.

Smith declined to comment further until formal reports are given to him and the group’s board of directors reviews it.