Students urged congress to support the undocumented community and DACA on Tuesday.

UF Chispas, Students Taking Action Against Racism and the Hispanic Student Association’s office of political affairs hosted a letter-writing event on Turlington Plaza in support of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

“No Human is Illegal: Support the Dream Act” and “Support our Dreamers: Pass the Dream Act Now!” were messages displayed on the covers of postcards provided by the groups. The cards were addressed to Senator Marco Rubio, Congressman Ted Yoho and Congressman Mario Díaz-Balart.

Michael Rayes, a 21-year-old UF history senior and Chispas president, stressed his organization’s interest in compelling members of Congress to pass legislation in support of DACA and the DREAM Act. In September, President Donald Trump announced he would end the DACA program.

“We are here today to amplify the voices of undocumented people around the country and why there is such a need for a clean DREAM Act,” he said.

More than 50 students wrote postcards, Rayes said.

Marisela Benitez, an 18-year-old UF biomedical engineering freshman, said she was first attracted to the event because of the free cookies, but was happy to support the undocumented community.

“My mom is an immigrant from Peru,” Benitez said. “She has her residency now. I grew up in the hispanic community and always heard a lot about the Dreamers and DACA and how it affects so many families.”

@camille_respess

crespess@alligator.org