University of Georgia professor named as new College of Veterinary Medicine department chair

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-e6907bf8-2b5f-22e2-2980-d60363236991"><span>Julie Moore</span></span></p>

Julie Moore

The UF College of Veterinary Medicine has named a new chair for the Department of Infectious Diseases and Immunology.

Julie Moore, a professor of infectious diseases and associate vice president of research at the

University of Georgia, said she will take over the department chair position in May. Moore will be paid an annual salary of $215,000, UF spokesperson Steve Orlando said. Moore has been involved in malaria-related research for 28 years and

Moore’s hiring came after the college changed the department’s name last year, which was previously the “Department of Infectious Diseases and Pathology,” Moore said. She was hired to focus the department on its new emphasis of immunology, the study of the immune system.

“I am really excited about moving to Florida,” Moore said. “I think the department and college

have a lot of potential, and I can’t wait to start building on that potential.”

Moore is replacing John Dame, who headed the department for 18 years, Dame said. He stepped down in order to focus more on his research.

There are a lot of changes in store for the college, including other departments also looking for new chairs, Dame said. He said Moore is an excellent choice to lead the department because of her vast experience in the field.

“There’s going to be new personalities and new expectations,” Dame said. “I think it’s a period of change for the college.”

Julie Moore