The Avenue’s must-see artists at Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival

Tomorrow kicks off Okeechobee Music and Arts Festival’s third consecutive year. Bringing some of the most vibrant artists the globe has to offer to the 800-acre Sunshine Grove in Okeechobee, Florida, this festival has absolutely exploded.

Falling conveniently during UF’s Spring Break, many students will make the trek south in the next few days for music, art, food, interactive activities and a weekend they’ll never forget. Here’s some of the artists we’ll be marking our schedules for no matter the conflict.

PoWow! with Snoop Dogg, The Roots and many more

The collaborative PoWow! has become a fan favorite at Okeechobee. Each year features a powerhouse group of performers who come together to perform songs falling in the hip-hop, soul and funk genres. This year’s PoWow! is hosted by none other than Snoop Dogg, one of the most influential personalities in hip-hop from the 1990s all the way to 2018. He will be joined by The Roots, Chaka Khan, Joey Bada$$, Dominic Lalli of Big Gigantic, Trombone Shorty and Cory Henry.

In addition to an impressive lineup, the PoWow! is worth checking out for the vibe alone. Fans of all types of music take a break from pulsing sets to relax under neon lights and hazy skies, enjoying a laid-back yet fun atmosphere where no one takes themselves too seriously. Anything can happen at the PoWow!, from surprise performers to unexpected covers, making this gathering a must-see.

Bassnectar

At this point, dubstep savant and overall experimental producer Bassnectar is an Okeechobee veteran, making appearances every year since the festival started in 2016. This year will be a special step forward for the artist’s relationship with Okeechobee, as he’s the only name on the bill with two official sets: a full moon party on Thursday and a set on one of the mainstages on Saturday.

Never one to do the same thing twice, Bassnectar is guaranteed to put forth two sets with distinctly unique personalities. On Tuesday, the artist shared via Facebook that the full moon party will have “no stage, no lights, no video — just a gathering by the beach under the moonlight, with warm downtempo sound drawing you in…”. And with an ambient, laid-back sound planned for Thursday, it’s fitting to guess that Saturday’s set will be the characteristically explosive Bassnectar set fans know and love.

For Bassnectar’s most recent ambient release check out “Enchanted,” the artist’s latest mystical release under side project “Naux Faux” with Sayr.

Quinn XCII

With an intoxicating sound that draws from genres like reggae, pop, electronic and many more, Quinn XCII will bring an energy to the Okeechobee stage unlike any of his fellow performers. Jampacking each release with smooth guitar plucks, breezy electronic elements, bouncy percussion and, of course, his unmistakable voice, this rising performer boasts a wide range of tracks that each hold a distinct personality.

For Quinn XCII’s most recent album that he’s sure to play from this weekend, check out “The Story of Us.”

Hippo Campus

As the only group on this list with a set that falls during the afternoon, Hippo Campus is worth the daytime trek to the stages. Composed of four young, vibrant indie rockers, this chilled out group cultivates a bouncy sound that will undoubtedly keep you both smiling and moving throughout the entirety of their set. Plus, the passion these four have for their craft shines through especially strong during live performances, making for an even more immersive experience.

For an idea of what to expect, check out their 2017 album “Landmark.”