<p>Freshman McCartney Kessler continued her winning streak with the clinching match against Tennessee on Friday.&nbsp;</p>

Freshman McCartney Kessler continued her winning streak with the clinching match against Tennessee on Friday. 

With her team down 2-0, Florida freshman McCartney Kessler defeated Mariana Gould and narrowed the Georgia lead. She could only watch helplessly, however, as the Bulldogs sealed UF’s fate.

Despite McCartney’s efforts, Georgia (8-3, 4-0 SEC) defeated UF 4-1 at the Dan Magill Tennis Complex in Athens, Georgia on Saturday. The loss put a stop to Florida’s (9-5, 4-1 SEC) six-game win streak and handing them their first SEC loss in the process.

Doubles play was contested more than the scoreboard indicated. The Bulldogs won the first game, with the duo of Katarina Jokic and Mariana Gould defeating freshman McCartney Kessler and senior Josie Kuhlman in a hard-fought battle that ended 6-4. On Court 3, senior Peggy Porter and freshman Katie Kubicz lost their match 6-4 as well, giving Georgia the doubles point victory. The Bulldogs’ doubles win ends the Gators’ streak of four consecutive doubles point wins.The Gators’ No. 1 team in senior Anna Danilina and freshman Victoria Emma came back from a 5-2 deficit to tie its match 5-5 but were unable to finish once Georgia won its second match.

In singles play, Georgia carried its momentum over from its doubles win as Georgia’s Morgan Coppoc dominated Porter in the first set en route to a 6-0, 6-4 victory. Florida answered quickly as Kessler defeated Gould 6-2, 6-3, but it wasn’t enough to kick start a comeback. Kuhlman dropped her match 6-4, 6-1, bringing the score to 3-1, before Katie Kubicz dropped the contested second set in her match, losing 6-2, 7-5, and ending UF’s six-game win streak.

Florida will travel to Knoxville to face the Tennessee Volunteers on Sunday at 12 p.m ET.

Follow River Wells on Twitter @riverhwells and contact him at rwells@alligator.org.

Freshman McCartney Kessler was the lone Gator to score a point in Florida's 4-1 loss to Georgia Friday night.