UF softball wins Game 1 of doubleheader, second game postponed

<p>Pitcher Kelly Barnhill drew a walk in just her fourth plate appearance of her career on Friday.&nbsp;</p>

Pitcher Kelly Barnhill drew a walk in just her fourth plate appearance of her career on Friday. 

If there’s one indication that a game is over before it’s actually finished, it’s when Kelly Barnhill steps into the batter’s box.

“I kind of eyeballed her (in the dugout) and she looked,” UF coach Tim Walton said. “I could see she knew exactly what I was about to ask.”

As her team held a 15-run lead, the junior phenom pitcher, who entered with career numbers of 0-for-2 and a walk, approached the plate with runners on first and second while wearing teammate Jaimie Hoover’s helmet. She picked up her second career walk and loaded the bases, helping UF softball to its most one-sided victory of the season.

The Florida Gators (29-4, 7-2 SEC) hosted double-header action against Hampton (13-15) and Jacksonville (19-13) on Friday at Katie Seashole Pressly Stadium. UF picked up a win over the Pirates in an 18-0 bloodbath, but its second game against Jacksonville was postponed due to rain.

The No. 4 Gators exhibited their offensive prowess against Hampton and played near flawless defense.

Senior Aleshia Ocasio and freshman Natalie Lugo combined in the circle for a perfect game. In five innings of work, they threw a meager 59 pitches and struck out seven.

Ocasio (13-2) cruised to a win after receiving nine runs of support in the bottom of the first inning alone.

Florida logged 13 at-bats in the frame but scored each of its first-inning runs via three, three-run home runs.

After a leadoff single by left fielder Amanda Lorenz and a subsequent walk by third baseman Nicole DeWitt, Kayli Kvistad belted a home run to dead center to make it a quick 3-0. Homers from Hoover and DeWitt followed the first baseman’s blast.

UF also picked up home runs from second baseman Hannah Adams in the second inning and Jordan Matthews in the third. Every single player on the Florida roster made a plate appearance against the Pirates, Lugo being the lone exception. In fact, the Gators used twice as many batters (18) as Hampton (9), and juniors Lily Mann and Theresa Swertfager picked up their first hits of the season.

“Being able to get everyone on your team in on one game is also not easy to do,” Walton said. “I was excited about everybody having a chance to contribute.”

The proceeding contest against Jacksonville started as a pitching duel.
After a cloudy but clear first game, Barnhill and Jacksonville ace Alyssa Bilodeau began their matchup in light rain.

In 4.1 innings before the postponement, Barnhill picked up 10 strikeouts.
However, in the top of the third hit on a full count to second baseman Serena Quinata. Quinata pulled the ball over the fence just inside the foul pole for a solo homer.  

The Gators pulled the run back in the bottom of the fourth. Catcher Janell Wheaton hit a blooper to left field that brought Ocasio home from second.
Then with one out and 2-2 count for JU’s Kristen Griffith, the rain picked up dramatically.

The stadium’s grounds crew along with the UF players cascaded the tarp of the field, signaling the day’s end.

The remainder of the game will be played on Saturday after the Gators’ 1 p.m. matchup with Hampton and will be followed by a Florida versus Jacksonville sequel.

“It’ll be different,” Walton said. “We’re on track to have three outcomes in a day, which is something I’ve never been a part of.”

Follow Mark Stine on Twitter @mstinejr and contact him at mstine@alligator.org.