<p>Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks is locked in another preseason battle with Kyle Trask for the starting job. Franks threw three interceptions in UF's first spring scrimmage while Trask threw three touchdowns. </p>

Florida quarterback Feleipe Franks is locked in another preseason battle with Kyle Trask for the starting job. Franks threw three interceptions in UF's first spring scrimmage while Trask threw three touchdowns. 

According to Dan Mullen, playing quarterback is a bit like driving a sports car. Despite the promise of power, it’s often wise to heed the warnings of speed limits and stop signs.

“If I hand you a Lamborghini, it doesn’t mean you have to drive 150 miles-an-hour every second of every day,” said the first-year Florida football head coach.

Like a Lamborghini, redshirt sophomore Feleipe Franks’ arm strength can certainly impress. But Mullen wants Franks to learn how to give his engine a rest at times. More often than not, the Gators’ offense needs a simple pass that won’t make a highlight compilation.

In Florida’s closed scrimmage last Saturday, Franks recorded the best numbers of all participating quarterbacks according to Mullen. This marks a significant improvement from the team’s first scrimmage, in which Franks threw three interceptions and one touchdown. He was outshined by redshirt sophomore Kyle Trask’s three touchdowns and one interception on the day.

Even after Franks’ improved performance on Saturday, Mullen was disappointed by his low completion percentage – a problem not entirely due to missed targets.

“Sometimes it’s decision-making,” Mullen said. “The educated things.”

But for Franks and the other quarterbacks competing for the starting position, it’s also the easy things that can cause confusion. Mullen acknowledged the entire position group performs well in difficult situations, such as when handling unorthodox blitzes. However, the basics tell a different story.

“Set in a base defense, and everybody freaked out,” Mullen said. “Come on, it’s back to Day 1. You can’t miss those opportunities.”

Franks has received praise from his coaching staff for committing himself to studying film and applying what he has learned to the field. He is doing all he can to earn playing time come August, and Mullen has seen improvement.

At this point in the offseason, however, neither Franks nor any of the quarterbacks on the roster have stood out as frontrunners for the starting spot. This is partially due to Mullen’s current perspective.

“I don’t think I’ve paid attention to separation,” Mullen said. “I’m watching all the guys and really worrying about how we’re getting better.”

Saturday’s annual Orange and Blue spring game will provide fans an early glimpse of Franks’ development and the overall quarterback race. If Franks wants to retain his position from last season, in which he started eight of 11 games, he will need to show that improvement.

For the time being, Mullen’s mind won’t be on selecting a starter.

“We are with a new roster,” Mullen said. “It’s a long time before we have to make any decisions or play a game.”

Follow Benjamin Brandt on Twitter @bhb1227 and contact him at bbrandt@alligator.org.