Possible salmonella outbreak results in recall on Publix eggs

The threat of salmonella has caused several supermarkets to pull eggs from their shelves, but Publix Super Markets in Gainesville didn’t have to pull any because they were already expired.

Publix 18-pack brand Grade A extra large eggs were recalled by Cal-Maine Foods Inc. because of possible contamination from Rose Acre Farms in Hyde County, North Carolina, according to Dwaine Stevens, a Publix spokesperson of the North Florida, South Alabama and South Georgia region.

Stevens wrote in an email that Publix Super Markets in Gainesville had these eggs at one point, but the eggs had already been taken off the shelves before the recall due to being expired.

Salmonella is a bacteria that when consumed in contaminated food can cause diarrhea, fever, chills and abdominal pain.

“If customers have any questions about the Publix XL 18-pack eggs that might be in their refrigerator, they can return them for a refund,” he said, adding people should refrain from eating potential contaminated eggs.

Elise Tutton, a UF nutritional sciences sophomore, said she goes to Publix every other week and occasionally buys Publix eggs. She said she wants to avoid salmonella at all costs, so she will pay more attention to the brands she purchases.

“I would probably avoid buying that brand of eggs, or stop buying eggs from Publix altogether until the recall is over,” the 19-year-old said.