crime tape
crime tape

Gainesville Police have a man in custody accused of fatally stabbing another man at Southern Pines Apartments, located at 4128 SW 17th Place, on Tuesday afternoon.

Timothy Cooper, 23, was charged with first degree murder. 

At 3:30 p.m., Cooper allegedly became upset with the victim, a 61-year-old man, over something the victim said to him inside the apartment, according to the report. The apartment was occupied by Cooper, the victim and a witness.

Cooper

The witness and the victim were on the couch when they saw Cooper walk toward the victim with his hands behind his back, according to the report. The witness reported that Cooper allegedly had a knife and fatally stabbed the victim in his upper torso. When the witness told Cooper he stabbed the victim, Cooper reportedly said, “I told that man to stop bothering me.” 

At 3:36 p.m., officers were called to Southern Pines Apartments, according to GPD’s media release.

GPD officers found the victim deceased on the couch and Cooper in his bedroom, according to the report.

After Cooper was read his Miranda rights, he told officers in an interview he confronted the victim about something the victim had said to him and the victim pulled out a knife. Cooper said he slapped the victim’s hand that was holding the knife and then they tussled, according to the report. He also said the witness pulled the victim off of him and that is when he saw the victim fall on the couch.

In the report, GPD states Cooper did not have any marks on him that indicated a fight. Cooper showed the officers an abrasion on his left shoulder, but it was clear to them it was not fresh and had already begun to heal, according to the report. 

Cooper remained in the Alachua County Jail on Tuesday and Wednesday and was not offered bond.

Follow Devoun Cetoute on Twitter @devoun_cetoute and contact him at dcetoute@alligator.org.