crime tape
crime tape

A student from Gainesville was charged early Wednesday morning for allegedly stealing a scooter.

According to the Gainesville Police Department report, it was around 1:45 a.m. when a Alachua County Sheriff’s Office deputy attempted to conduct a traffic stop on a red scooter. Jalen Kelsey-Patterson reportedly fled from the ASO deputy on the scooter.

Kelsey-Patterson, 23, fled to Woodland Park Apartments, located on SE 20th Place, where he allegedly abandoned the scooter and continued on foot. Kelsey-Patterson was the only one on the scooter, according to the arrest report.

The scooter reportedly had a UF decal. UPD was able to provide contact information for the decal holder. After speaking with the registered owner and his son on the phone, the arresting officer determined that only the son had permission to be riding the scooter.

Kelsey-Patterson

According to the report, the son responded to the scene and confirmed that the scooter belonged to him.

GPD K9 apprehended Kelsey-Patterson at 4:17 that morning. The ASO deputy confirmed that he was the same individual who fled from him during the traffic stop.

According to Alachua County Jail records, Kelsey-Patterson was charged with grand theft of a motor vehicle. He was also charged for allegedly resisting and fleeing from an officer.

Kelsey-Patterson denied all allegations of stealing the scooter and fleeing from the deputy, according to the arrest report. Jail records state that he is currently being held for a bond of $17, 500.