A collision left a man dead on the intersection of U.S. Highway 441 and County Road 234 on Sunday afternoon.

Jeffrey DeLong, a resident of Clermont, Florida, was traveling south on U.S. Highway 441 with another passenger when the incident occurred at 12:54 p.m., according to a press release from Florida Highway Patrol. DeLong was driving a 2006 Suzuki motorcycle with no helmet.

Going eastbound on County Road 234, Freddie Slater, 50, approached a stop sign at the intersection with U.S. Highway 441 in a 1998 Lincoln Continental. He continued into the intersection in front of DeLong, according to a report from FHP.

DeLong couldn’t avoid the car and collided into the left side of the Lincoln. Upon impact, he was ejected from the motorcycle and hit the upper side of the car, according to the report.

DeLong, 28, was pronounced dead at the scene of the crash. Slater suffered no injuries, the press release said.

The motorcycle passenger Alaina Johnson, 25, reportedly suffered serious injuries. She and DeLong, her fiance, were on their way home from church in Gainesville when the accident occured, Johnson said. Sunday was both Mother’s Day and Johnson’s birthday.

Since the accident, she has started a petition for a traffic light to be added to that intersection. In three days, 601 people signed the petition.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter @jesscurbelo and contact her at jcurbelo@alligator.org.