crime tape
crime tape

An overnight search led to the arrest of a man who is allegedly involved in a child homicide investigation Monday morning.

Carlton James Mathis, originally from Hall County, Georgia, is the suspect believed to be involved in the murder of a six-month-old child, according to a report sent by Hall County Sheriff’s Office.

Mathis

Alachua County Sheriff’s Office learned that Mathis, who also had a felony warrant from Georgia on unrelated burglary charges, was in Alachua County after receiving the report around 8:30 p.m. Sunday.

Deputies couldn’t find Mathis at the location provided but learned he may be in the Bronson area of Levy County. After Levy County Sheriff’s Department was told of Mathis’ potential location, an ASCO SWAT team went to Bronson at LCSD’s request.

Mathis was reportedly seen leaving a residence at Bronson Villas & Villages and getting into a red SUV at about 4:30 a.m. Monday. When SWAT personnel stopped the car, Mathis threatened the driver of the SUV with a handgun.

An ASCO SWAT operator shot Mathis in response. Additional SWAT personnel immediately treated his wounds before taking Mathis to a hospital in the area, according to the press release. The other person in the car and another SWAT operator received minor injuries from glass and/or shrapnel.

The investigation and search for Mathis originally involved deputies and detectives from ACSO, LCSD and the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.

Dothan Police Department from Alabama was also working on the investigation simultaneously, according to tweets from ACSO. DPD recovered the remains of the infant, which started the search for Mathis.

Mathis will be transported to Levy County Jail after being released from the hospital, according to the ACSO press release. He is charged with aggravated assault and is being held for a felony warrant for unrelated burglary charges from Georgia as well as for the outcome of the homicide investigation.

The investigation into both the child’s case and the shooting is ongoing. Per ACSO policy, FDLE is looking into the shooting incident and the SWAT operator involved is on administrative leave.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter @jesscurbelo and contact her at jcurbelo@alligator.org.