crime tape
crime tape

Alachua County Sheriff’s Office and Gainesville Police arrested two Gainesville residents July 11 for allegedly committing multiple burglaries.

Earlier that afternoon, an Oakwood Convenience employee returned to work at 6250 NW 23rd St. and found the front door of the business had been smashed in.

terry johnson
wells

They discovered the cash register missing, which held about $800 in cash and coins. The cash register alone costs about $2,000.

The security video allegedly showed Darrell Wells, 56, and Terry Johnson, 52, drive by the front of the business and park in the back. Johnson then walked to the front and reportedly threw a large rock through the glass door.

Johnson went in and stole the cash register, according to the GPD report, before running outside to the back of the store. He then got into the passenger side of the waiting car with the stolen cash register in hand.

ACSO identified Johnson during a similar investigation where they found his fingerprints. On July 5, ACSO responded to a burglary at Springhill Liquors where the front door was broken and the cash register and some bottles of liquor were reportedly stolen.

Three other burglaries — later connected to Wells and Johnson — were also reported. Video surveillance at GameStop, located at 2631 NW 13th St., allegedly showed Johnson breaking through the glass front door and stealing four games and three gaming consoles — a PlayStation 4, Xbox One and Xbox 360 — totalling $880.

Surveillance footage at Books-A-Million, located at 6111 W. Newberry Road, reportedly shows Johnson breaking in at 1:34 a.m. Nothing was reported stolen. According to GPD arrest reports, there was also a burglary at China Wok on the same day.

Johnson later told GPD officers that he and Wells planned the burglaries, which he commited. He reportedly said Wells drove him to the businesses and profited from the burglary.

Wells also reportedly said he drove Johnson to the businesses and parked in various locations while waiting for him. In several cases, Wells denied knowledge of the crime committed.

GPD conducted a search warrant at the residence where Johnson and Wells live together. They reportedly found several cash registers in the main hallway bathroom and the clothes Johnson wore during the burglary.

Johnson reportedly told officers he traded the Playstation 4 and Xbox 360 for drugs. A GPD officer went to the house Johnson described and recovered an Xbox 360 with a serial number that matched the report. Johnson also said Wells gave someone the Xbox One to sell.

According to Alachua County Jail records, Johnson and Wells are both being held for three charges of burglary and grand theft. Johnson’s bond is set at $75,000, while Wells’ bond is set at $65,000.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter @jesscurbelo and contact her at jcurbelo@alligator.org.