crime tape
crime tape

Gainesville Police arrested a 19-year-old UF student early Saturday for allegedly running out on an expensive bar tab.

After racking up a bill that reportedly amounted to $367.06, Finnegan Davis attempted to pay his tab at Fat Daddy’s bar, located at 1702 W. University Ave., around 1:30 a.m. The general manager tried to charge the student’s Visa card, but it declined.

Finnegan

The manager reportedly called over one of the bar’s security guards, who attempted to keep Davis at Fat Daddy’s while law enforcement was called. The security guard had turned away from Davis when he heard a fight start behind him.

Davis allegedly ran from Fat Daddy’s and across West University Avenue to UF’s campus, leaving his card at the bar. A UF police officer, who reportedly saw Davis run from the bar, detained him near Library West.

The manager and security guard from Fat Daddy’s were brought by another UPD officer to where Davis was arrested. According to the arrest report, both of the witnesses identified Davis as the man from the bar.

Davis was allegedly drunk when he was arrested. He didn’t admit to stealing $367.06 worth of alcoholic drinks or running from the bar, according to the report.

He reportedly only told officers he meant to pay his debts and that he would pay them. Davis was charged with grand theft and taken to Alachua County Jail where he was later released Saturday afternoon on his own recognizance, according to jail records.

The Alligator reached out to Davis for comment, but he declined.

Follow Jessica Curbelo on Twitter @jesscurbelo and contact her at jcurbelo@alligator.org.