Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A man caused a stir at Grace Marketplace after he pulled a pocket knife on someone Friday afternoon, Gainesville Police said.

Robert Howard Davis III, 74, of Gainesville, was accused of threatening a man with a blade during an argument, according to an arrest report.

The man told police Davis pulled pocket knife from his right front pocket and opened the blade. He pointed the knife at him and said, “I am going to cut you, n-----.”

The man grabbed a broom to protect himself and told police Davis had pulled a knife on him in the past, the report said. The man feared for his life. 

Davis told police he pulled out the knife because he thought the man was threatening him and admitted he was going to kill him, the report said.

Multiple people told police they saw Davis threaten the man with the knife, police said. After Davis was read his Miranda rights, he told police he had the knife to kill snakes, but pulled it out Friday afternoon because he felt threatened.

Davis is charged with aggravated assault and is being held in the Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $20,000 bond.

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa