Generic Crime
Generic Crime

A man wearing a bloody shirt told police he didn’t shoot a man bleeding outside his home, Gainesville Police said.

Steven Christopher James, 51, of Gainesville, is accused of shooting a man for lurking around his home and kicking him while he bled, according to an arrest report. He was charged with attempted first-degree murder and possession of a gun as a felon.

After coming home from work, James’ stepson noticed two men hiding behind the tractor in his driveway early Friday morning and called police. He also called his mother, who was inside the house with James.

The stepson saw James chase and fight one of the men, the report said.

Once the stepson got out of his car, he heard a loud pop, the report said.

The man shot was taken to UF Health Shands Hospital, police said. Hospital staff told police he had gunshot wounds in the head, cheek and shoulder.

James denied leaving the house, the report said.

Police found a bullet near the front door, a blood-stained pair of pants, a blood-stained pair of jean shorts, a bloody tissue and several boxes of ammunition, the report said.

A bloody gun was hidden in a child’s pink Timberland boot, police said.

The man shot told police he was on James’ property with a friend, but denied doing anything wrong.

He said James shot, beat and kicked him, the report said.

James is held in Alachua County Jail without bond.

Contact Amanda Rosa at arosa@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @AmandaNicRosa