To Gainesville, from Tom Petty

<p dir="ltr"><span>A mural dedicated to Gainesville native Tom Petty appeared on the 34th Street Wall in Gainesville, Florida following the death of the musician.</span></p>

A mural dedicated to Gainesville native Tom Petty appeared on the 34th Street Wall in Gainesville, Florida following the death of the musician.

Tom Petty’s voice will continue to flood the airwaves nearly a year after his death. 

Reprise Records and Petty’s family trust released a previously unheard track about the artist’s hometown Sept. 20. The song “Gainesville” was recorded in 1998 and was supposed to be included in the album “Echo,” which was Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers’ 10th studio album, according to iTunes.

Now, 20 years later, it has made it to the ears of audiences everywhere.

In the track “Gainesville,” Petty sings about finding adventure in the small towns and nearby beaches in the area with lyrics like “Sandy loading up the van,” and “We got down to Clearwater. You’re OK anywhere you fall.”

The release of “Gainesville” comes as a preview of a 60-song release of “An American Treasure,” which includes both new and previously released tracks, according to Rolling Stone.

As soon as he found out about the song, Nicholas Etrick, a 22-year-old UF materials science and engineering senior, said he immediately listened to it because he loves Petty’s music.

“It kind of gives you a scope back into his years before he became famous, going back to his roots in Gainesville,” Etrick said.

Petty captures the melding of the college community and Gainesville locals, Etrick said.

“There’s still a carefree atmosphere of diversity and freedom and just a really homey and calm vibe to the town,” he said.

In addition to this audio release, the music video for “Gainesville” is projected to release this weekend. The video shows archival footage taken by Petty decades ago as well as new shots of Petty’s favorite spots, said Jason Hedges, the lead singer of Heavy Petty, a tribute band. Hedges worked on the video project.

“The idea is to have this timeless feel,” Hedges said. “It was kind of like we were finishing a project that he was working on, but who knows.”

@EmWitmer

ewitmer@alligator.org