Felon and University of Chicago professor share the stage in speech about felon rights

<p>Jhody Polk shares her story of incarceration </p>

Jhody Polk shares her story of incarceration 

When Jhody Polk was incarcerated, she said she was set free. 

Polk was recently released from an eight-year prison sentence and is now an advocate for ex-prisoners with the nonprofit National Council for Incarcerated and Formerly Incarcerated Women and Girls.  

“Although I expected to find thugs and criminals, what I found were incredible, strong women,” Polk told an audience at Ustler Hall on Thursday. “They held up the mirror for me to see who I really was, and for the first time, I was free to be me.”  

Polk, alongside Reuben Miller, an assistant professor at the University of Chicago, spoke to about 75 people on improving the re-entry of felons into society. 

Polk and Miller spoke as part of UF Intersections, which was funded by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, said Katheryn Russell-Brown, a member of UF Intersections. She said she did not immediately know how much the event cost.

Russell-Brown said voter disenfranchisement is important with the upcoming election.

“This is an important moment in Florida history,” Russell-Brown said. “Certainly a time of critical inquiry.” 

Miller, the author of “Halfway Home: Race, Punishment and the Afterlife of Mass Incarceration,” said felons are still imprisoned by the law, which contradicts the democracy the country was founded on.

“The point of the work I am doing is to help us push past this scarlet letter that someone carries with them for life when they receive that sentence,” Miller said.