Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Taking too long at a gas pump could’ve ended in gunshots.

Barry Patrick Heckard, 36, of Gainesville, was accused of fighting with another man over Heckard’s loaded gun Wednesday morning after Heckard said the man was taking his time pumping gas at the Shell gas station, at 7501 W Newberry Road, according to an Alachua County Sheriff’s Office arrest report.

A deputy saw the two men fighting in Heckard’s car and walked over to talk to them. The deputy noticed a semi-automatic shotgun in Heckard’s lap, the report said.

The man told deputies that Heckard got a shotgun from the backseat of his car and loaded it while sitting in the front seat. Heckard mumbled under his breath while loading the magazine into the gun, deputies said.

The man ran to Heckard’s car to grab the gun. He was afraid Heckard was going to shoot him, deputies said.

Heckard denied loading the gun and told deputies the man saw it in his car and tried to take it, the report said.

Surveillance video supported the man’s story, according to the report.

Deputies found two grams of marijuana, a pipe, two other handguns and ammunition in Heckard’s possession, the report said.

Heckard is charged with aggravated assault with a weapon and possession of marijuana and drug paraphernalia. He was released from the Alachua County Jail Thursday afternoon on a $7,000 bond.

Heckard could not immediately be reached for comment.

Contact Jessica Curbelo at jcurbelo@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @jesscurbelo