Mexican-American Student Association raises money for immigrant legal services

<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-eaae3a9e-7fff-1be3-cb76-32002dfaab1d"><span>Garrick Sewsankar, an 18-year-old computer science freshman, plays Noche de Lotería on Monday, October 15, during a fundraiser held by the Mexican-American Student Association. Similar to Bingo, Sewsankar was one space away from winning the round. Donations from the fundraiser are going to help immigrants receive free legal services.</span></span></p>

Garrick Sewsankar, an 18-year-old computer science freshman, plays Noche de Lotería on Monday, October 15, during a fundraiser held by the Mexican-American Student Association. Similar to Bingo, Sewsankar was one space away from winning the round. Donations from the fundraiser are going to help immigrants receive free legal services.

Nearly 20 years after arriving to the U.S. from Mexico, Roxana Arreola played Mexican Bingo to help other immigrants like herself.

Arreola and more than 20 others played the game in the second annual Noche de Lotería fundraiser to raise money for the Refugee and Immigrant Center for Education and Legal Services, which provides free legal services for immigrants. The event was hosted by the Mexican-American Student Association in the Pugh Hall Ocora Monday night.

Arreola said her family risked everything to provide her and her brother with a better life. She said that although her family acquired visas to enter into the U.S. legally, she understands why many immigrants don’t. Arreola said she came out to support others going through a similar situation that her family once did.

“As an immigrant myself, seeing this makes me feel good,” Arreola said.

Each attendee was asked to make a suggested $8 donation to play Lotería, a Mexican bingo game with a card that is divided into a four-by-four grid with a unique design on spaces, said Miguel Raya, the president of the Mexican-American Student Association. Local companies also donated prizes for the winners, such as a $10 gift card to Tijuana Flats and a ceramic dog from La Tienda.

Each year, the organization holds the Noche De Lotería fundraiser to contribute to a specific cause that impacts the Mexican-American community. Last year, the organization raised money to aid people who had been impacted by earthquakes, Raya said.

The event raised $332 for immigrant families by its end and cost about $90 to put together, said Dalinda Gamez, the treasurer of the Mexican-American Student Association.

Gamez said she wants to do her part to bring awareness to the challenges immigrant families continue to face in the U.S.

“We were bringing to the forefront an issue that continues to destroy families,” Gamez said.

The UF organization wants to continue to bridge the gap between the UF community and the challenges faced by immigrant families. Raya said this starts with reminding people about what some immigrant families are going through.

“There needs to be heightened urgency in advocating for the people that are the most marginalized, the most vulnerable, right now,” Raya said.