<p>Gainesville Police Department currently has 22 vacancies for officers as contract negotiations for officers on the force are underway. The city and police union are meeting today, and salaries and benefits are on the table.</p>

Gainesville Police Department currently has 22 vacancies for officers as contract negotiations for officers on the force are underway. The city and police union are meeting today, and salaries and benefits are on the table.

Gainesville Police Chief Tony Jones promoted 29 new members to the Gainesville Police Department on Nov. 13.

This is the largest number of promotions the agency has seen in recent years, said GPD spokesperson Lt. Jorge Campos. The positions included nine corporals, 11 sergeants, four lieutenants and four civilian members who work in technical positions.

“This is a new and exciting time for the agency,” Campos said. “We have new supervisors put into new positions that will learn the nuances of their positions and effect change.”

The agency has seen several people come and go, Campos said. At least 14 officers have retired over the past couple of years, and the agency has been hiring more members since 2015.

In the past five years, GPD has hired 116 officers and lost 128 sworn officers to retirement, resignations, terminations and transfers to other agencies, former GPD spokesperson Ofc. Ben Tobias told The Alligator in September.

New members go through background checks and an extensive selection process, Campos said. Applicants must undergo oral interviews and take written exams.

Lisa Scott, 33, was one of the 11 promoted to sergeant. She’s worked for GPD for almost seven years, she said. She will finish her duties as accreditation manager before assuming her new position next year.

While the tests were nerve-wracking, Scott said she felt honored to be accepted. At the ceremony, Scott’s parents, extended family and her GPD family were there to support her.

“We’re all excited to be the future of the agency, and it’s nice to travel up the ranks,” Scott said. “It’s just a proud moment for all of us.”

Contact Alyssa Ramos at aramos@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter at @LysKRamos