<p><span id="docs-internal-guid-6b489fa2-7fff-90ba-e28a-240db9c915b1">Above are the projected exterior designs for the IBC (left) and La Casita.</span></p>

Above are the projected exterior designs for the IBC (left) and La Casita.

UF’s Asian community is looking for a place to call home.

UF Student Body Treasurer Stefan Sanguyo hosted a town hall for more than 50 people Thursday night in the Asian Pacific Islander Suite in the Multicultural Diversity Affairs Office to address interest in building an Asian Pacific Islander Desi American institute at UF. About 7 percent of UF’s population is Asian, according to UF’s most recent demographic data.

A building may cost about $8 million and may be completed about two years, he said.

“Why not reach higher? Why not ask for an institute?” he said.

The Institute of Black Culture and La Casita, two separate, communal spaces at UF for black and Latinx students, have been in existence since 1972 and 1994, respectively. Their new buildings, which cost about $10 million, on University Avenue is expected to be completed this year.

People said they wanted a place to study, hold meetings and dance practices, preserve culture and eat authentic cuisine.

UF often doesn’t consider members of the Asian Pacific Islander Desi American community as minorities, said Lisa Tin, a 20-year-old UF food science sophomore and vice president of education of UF’s Asian American Student Union.

“We still have to fight for the initiation and start-up of this, so we can support this institution and make it a reality instead of just an open town hall,” Tin said.