City to hold public State of the City Address this week

<p dir="ltr"><span>The Gainesville City Commission discusses the appointment of Deborah Bowie as interim city manager Thursday. Kelly Hayes / Alligator Staff</span></p>

The Gainesville City Commission discusses the appointment of Deborah Bowie as interim city manager Thursday. Kelly Hayes / Alligator Staff

Gainesville leaders will meet Wednesday to tell the community about its goals going into the city’s 150th year.

The State of the City Address will be held at 12:30 p.m. at the Cade Museum for Creativity and Invention, at 811 N. Main St., to highlight some of the city’s accomplishments from last year, said Mayor Lauren Poe. The event is free and open to the public.

“It’s an opportunity to look at all the work the city’s doing and celebrate that,” Poe said.

Those attending will hear from Poe, Interim City Manager Deborah Bowie and Gainesville Regional Utilities General Manager Ed Bielarski.

Poe said the year-long anniversary celebrations will officially begin in April, but the address will be an opportunity to inform and encourage residents to get involved and celebrate.

Bowie, who was appointed as the interim manager on Jan. 17, said the city is in a transitional period with the search for a city manager and an upcoming mayoral election, so the address will be a good place to bring the city together despite changes.

They will discuss the city’s goals for the year such developing more affordable housing, strengthing partnerships with UF, being waste free by 2040 and working to become a smart city, like increasing Wi-Fi accessibility.

“I’m definitely excited to be on the team during this time of transition,” Bowie said. “The beginning of the year is always an opportunity to be optimistic.”