Nonprofit holds gala for local police departments

<div id=":oe" class="ii gt"><div id=":od" class="a3s aXjCH"><div>About 250 first responders and their families eat dinner at Legacy Park and learn more about The Grit Foundation Saturday evening. </div></div></div>
About 250 first responders and their families eat dinner at Legacy Park and learn more about The Grit Foundation Saturday evening. 

A Florida non-profit raised $55,000 to help local police departments and first responders.

On Saturday evening, The Grit Foundation, a non-profit organization that supports local police departments, raised the money by hosting its first gala at Legacy Park, at 15400 Peggy Road, to honor the service of local police officers and first responders.

About 250 people attended, Hannah Parrish, a spokesperson for the foundation, said. The event was free for officers and first responders, while tickets for others were $50.

The money raised will go toward supplies, including safety kits and training for K-9s, Parrish said.

“Some of us will never understand the work these men and women do,” Parrish said.

It cost $3,000 to put on the event, which was paid for by sponsorships from Sanchez Farms and Big Daddy Guns.

The foundation serves departments in Union, Bradford, Alachua, Clay, Putnam and Gilchrist counties, Parrish said.

“We want to give them the night of their lives,” Parrish said. “While we run away from danger, they run toward it to help us.”

Gilchrist County Sheriff Robert Schultz said that organizations like The Grit Foundation encourage police to remain committed to the work they do.

“Groups like this and the people who support them show us how appreciated we are,” Schultz said.

Contact Taylor Roth at troth@alligator.org and follow her on Twitter @Taylor__Roth.