Student Government SG Generic
Student Government SG Generic

Senators had a mouthful to say Tuesday night as they voted for new Senate leadership.

Libby Shaw (College of Journalism and Communications) was sworn in as the Student Senate president along with Emily Dunson (District A) as the Student Senate Pro Tempore.

Senators Stephen Singleton (Agriculture and Life Sciences) and Tyler Kendrick (Beaty Towers) were elected as members-at-large and will serve on the Replacement and Agenda Committee. The newly elected Senate leadership is all from Impact Party.

Michael Murphy, the Student Body president-elect, is the fourth consecutive Student Body president to have served as the Senate president.

Impact and Inspire Party senators were also sworn in following last week’s Spring elections. Inspire now has one-third of the Senate.

“I think party politics is severely hurting us,” Shaw said. “We can move into a term where there’s peace, and we’re all friends.

Chou said that despite losing the presidency in the Senate and the Student Body, he will continue what he has been doing since freshman year.

“I help people with their projects, and I will continue on the different advocacy projects I’m involved with,” Chou said. “I’ll do that until I graduate.”