Glitch in ONE.UF system causes delays in course registration

Students ready to register for classes early Tuesday morning were met with technical difficulties.

Hundreds of undergraduate students with a registration window experienced issues with the online system when it opened at 8 a.m., UF spokesperson Margot Winick said. The ONE.UF system was slow and unresponsive for a brief amount of time.

It is unclear when the true slow down began and when the issue was fixed, according to the Registrar’s Office, Winick said.

The system opened to allow 16,800 students to register during the allotted window, Winick said. Students are given their windows to register based on course load or number of credit hours.

The UF technical team monitored the system all day since the first incident, Winick said. There have been no other issues besides the initial slow-down.

The logs from the Registrar’s Office show hundreds of students registered every minute for 30 minutes, Winick said. The pace of students registering picked up even more after the first half hour.

Sean Doherty, a 21-year-old UF physiology and kinesiology junior, tried to register at 8 a.m. Tuesday and said he was upset to see the website was down. He had to leave for class and couldn’t register as soon as he would have liked.

He said the shutdown made it harder to get the sections he wanted because he couldn’t register at the time he was told. Doherty found out registration times are assigned by credit hours and suspected the system would be overloaded.

“It’s annoying that UF would make a decision like this,” Doherty said. “I predicted the crash would happen knowing that our entire year would be registering at once.”

Hundreds of students were still able to register throughout the day with no problem, Winick said. If students experience problems, they are advised to contact the Registrar’s Office by phone or fill out an online request to look into their case. Registration for Summer A-C ends May 9, and registration for Fall ends Aug. 16.

Correction: The headline was updated to reflect that there was a glitch in the website.