generic Darts and Laurels
generic Darts and Laurels

The end of the semester is in sight, and the promise of summer is only growing sweeter. The air is warmer, and the days are longer. You decide to take advantage and make your way to Paynes Prairie to watch the sunset. You’ve been in the library all day struggling to get ahead before final exams and projects consume your life.

You jump into your car with your windows open and make your way down 13th Street. You blast your speakers and let the rest of your semester worries melt away. You make it to the stretch of road on 441 surrounded by Paynes Prairie. You park your car on the side of the road and get outside. There are others who have also gotten out of their cars and are looking through the swampy water in hopes of spotting an alligator. You make your way over to the fence to take in the scenery.

You hear a splash to your left. Others begin to gather near where the sound came from. You look over the edge and see something in the water. You and everyone else wait to see what the mysterious thing will do next. Then, it emerges again in a big leap out of the water, and you instantly realize what it is. It’s your weekly dose of…

Darts & Laurels

This week we’re starting with Mr. Worldwide himself. Pitbull will be performing at the Florida Central Fairgrounds, at 6 p.m. June 1. Pitbull will play a free concert in honor of Orlando police officer Kevin Valencia, who was shot and seriously wounded while responding to a domestic violence call. The concert is being put on by local Orlando attorney Dan Newlin, who is also a former law enforcement officer. A laurel goes out to everyone involved in the free concert, which is meant to be a show of support for Valencia and his family.

The New York Times published an extensive article outlining the reemergence of measles in countries across the globe. Beginning around 2000, there has been a worldwide effort to stop the spread of measles and its rising death toll. From 2000 to 2016, this effort was largely successful, with an 80% decrease in measles globally. However, two years ago, measles cases unexpectedly rose with a 30% increase in one year. We have to give out a dart to those around the globe who have spread false rumors about vaccines; however, there are a number of other factors that has attributed to an increase in measles, The New York Times writes.

In Chicago, we would like to offer a laurel to the city’s newest mayor, Lori Lightfoot. Lightfoot will be the first black woman and first openly gay person to take on the role. The former federal prosecutor was named victorious in a runoff election on Tuesday. Either way, the election would have been historic, as Toni Preckwinkle, Lightfoot’s opponent, was also a black woman, ensuring Chicago’s first black woman mayor. We offer our congratulations to both Lightfoot and Chicago for this historic race.

Finally, back in Florida, we’d like to offer a laurel to all the protesters who made their way to Tallahassee by the busloads on Wednesday. The protesters, mostly students, were there to protest a bill that would allow teachers to be trained and armed. The bill was supposed to be decided upon by the House of Representatives. However, the controversial bill was taken off of the agenda for that day. Students still lined up in the lobby where the House meets, holding photos of people who died by gun violence.

The Alligator editorial board includes the opinions editor Michaela Mulligan, editor-in-chief Paige Fry and managing editors Christina Morales and Amanda Rosa.