Garth Brooks press conference canceled, concert still happening

<p>Garth Brooks performs "Stronger Than Me" at the 52nd annual CMA Awards at Bridgestone Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018, in Nashville, Tenn. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)</p>

Garth Brooks performs "Stronger Than Me" at the 52nd annual CMA Awards at Bridgestone Arena on Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018, in Nashville, Tenn. (Photo by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

Garth Brooks is still coming to UF but a severe thunderstorm delayed his visit.

At 2 p.m., the country singer’s public relations firm announced that his flight would not land in time for him to make a scheduled press conference today. Several flights were canceled after a severe thunderstorm impacted the Gainesville area.

Brooks’ private flight to the University Air Center was delayed.

“So with great regret the Garth Brooks press conference that was scheduled for 3 PM at the Ben Hill Griffin Stadium is now CANCELLED,” Aron Gerson, a spokesperson for Nancy Seltzer and Associates, Brooks’ public relations firm, wrote in an email.

The soundcheck is still scheduled for 7 p.m. today in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium is still set to take place as well as his concert Saturday at 8 p.m at the same location.

Brooks will still host the special soundcheck event which will raise money for the University of Florida Machen Florida Opportunity Scholars program, according to a press release. The soundcheck is free for UF students, but faculty and staff have to pay a specialty price through the University Athletic Association.

Gerson said that because the team will be in a rush to get Brooks to soundcheck later in the evening, he will not be able to sign autographs or take selfies, the firm said.