Generic Crime
Generic Crime

Police arrested a third man on Tuesday involved in a shootout at a Gainesville store parking lot, police said.

John Willis, 21, of Gainesville, was the third person arrested for the March 31 shooting at Rose Food Store, at 1631 NE 16th Ave., according to a Gainesville Police press release.

Willis and Artavis Mallary, 35, of Gainesville, wanted to get back at Quinten Golston, 32, of Gainesville, for stealing money from Mallary, according to a Gainesville Police sworn complaint affidavit.

Willis and Mallary had plans to find and shoot Golston after a police report was filed March 29 against Golston for stealing from Mallary, the report said.

On March 31, Mallary was driving with Willis in a sedan when they spotted Golston at the Rose Food Store, the report said. Mallary parked the car, and they both went up to Golston.

Mallary pointed at Golston, and Willis pulled out a gun and started firing at Golston, the report said. Golston was standing next to a car with two passengers inside.

Golston pulled out a gun and tried to fire back, the report said. No one was injured, but a car near Golston with two passengers was hit multiple times.

On April 9, police released video surveillance footage from the store and asked the public to help identify the men, according to a Gainesville Police press release.

Police also received surveillance footage from Mallary’s apartment complex of Mallary and Willis before the shooting, the report said. In the video, they got into a sedan with the same clothing shown in the store’s surveillance footage.

Willis was arrested on a warrant for attempted murder and two counts of aggravated assault, the release said.

On April 18, police arrested Mallary on a warrant for attempted murder and two counts of aggravated assault, according to court records. On April 22, Golston was arrested on a warrant for possession of a firearm while being a convicted felon.

Golston, Mallary and Willis remain in the Alachua County Jail. Golston has a $100,000 bond. Mallary has a $2 million bond. Willis has an $800,000 bond.