<p>Boles</p>

Boles

A Wesley Chapel man was charged by Gainesville police Saturday night after he entered an unlocked apartment and stole a kitchen knife while he was sleepwalking, according to a police report.

Hubert Nathan Boles, 38, entered an apartment through an unlocked front door at University Terrace Apartments, 3921 SW 34th St., shortly before 10 p.m. One of the residents reportedly heard him opening doors in the apartment but assumed it was his roommate.

Boles continued to wander through the house before opening the door to the resident’s bedroom. The resident then watched Boles grab a large kitchen knife from a cutting board in the kitchen and leave the apartment, according to the report.

After the resident knocked on their roommate’s door, but it was locked and the shower was running. He estimated the cost of the knife at $15 and told police he had never seen Boles before.

When officers found Boles, he said he had fallen asleep on a bus bench near the complex around 10 p.m. and woke up as he was being arrested, according to a police report.

Under questioning, Boles told police he had been sleepwalking and does not remember the incident but later admitted to taking the knife. He told police he had smoked meth the night before the incident but was not high at the time of questioning.

Boles was charged with armed burglary of an occupied residence, a felony, and petty theft, a misdemeanor.

He remains in jail in lieu of a $12,000 bond. His attorney could not be reached for comment.

Boles