space
space

The Apollo 11 moon landing was a major step forward in human history. It was the day people all over the world sat fixated on their tv, leaning in anticipation, to see something they once thought impossible. On July 19, it will have been 50 years since that astronomical day, and there are a few activities in Gainesville people can do to celebrate the scientific feat.

UF Astronomy Department: Celebrate Apollo 11 

The UF Astronomy Department is letting the Gainesville community into the teaching observatory this Friday for the Celebrate Apollo 11 event. The event starts at 9 p.m. and ends at 11:30 p.m. There are telescopes that will allow you to observe the moon, planets, nebulae and more. Dr. Jaydeep Mukherjee will give a short talk at the beginning of the event and bring items that will be given to children. The event is free and will be held at the UF Campus Teaching Observatory. 

The Cade Museum: Movie screening of Apollo 11

On Friday, the Cade Museum will show the documentary style movie “Apollo 11” that came out in 2019. This film comes with newly discovered footage and audio of the moon landing. The doors will open at 6 p.m. where attendees can indulge in movie theater refreshments. The movie will begin at 6:30 p.m. and ends at 8 p.m.  Tickets for the movie are $1.50, resembling the prices around 1969. 

Hippodrome: “Armstrong” film

The Hippodrome State Theatre will be showing the documentary film “Armstrong” multiple times until July 26. The film gives a deeper look into Neil Armstrong’s family life, time in the Korean war and his space missions. Today, the showing will start at 8:30 p.m. and end at 10:30 p.m. The tickets for the show are $7 for students and seniors and $9 for adults.