Hippodrome to collaborate with American Institute of Architects on film series

<p>The Hippodrome</p>

The Hippodrome

Known as the architectural centerpiece of Gainesville’s Historic downtown, the Hippodrome State Theatre is featuring a new film series on architecture.

The theater partnered with the American Institute of Architects Gainesville to produce a film series that showcases the effect architecture has on everyday lives.

The board of AIA Gainesville will fund three to four architecture films per year, which will be shown at the Hippodrome at 25 SE 2nd Place, said Matthew Cugini, Hippodrome cinema program manager.

Tickets are $8 for students and $10 for non-students. 

The theater hopes to show viewers how architecture can influence communities across the world, Cugini said.  

“It affects how we travel around town, what places we enjoy, what feels comfortable in the built environment and what doesn’t,” Cugini said.

The theater showed its first documentary, “Brasília: Life After Design,” on Aug. 22. The film  features two prolific Brazilian architects, Oscar Niemeyer and Lúcio Costa, and showcases how architecture and urban planning in Brazil reflects the contemporary political climate.

Cugini said the theater looks forward to showing films not just specifically about architecture, but stories that use unique building design as a backdrop as well.  

“We like to have a very diverse array of films that we show,” said Julia Campitelli, Hippodrome marketing coordinator.

The main films are produced by professional filmmakers, but Campitelli said she would like to show shorter student films and AIA Film Challenge submissions. 

The AIA Film Challenge is an annual film competition that requires participants to submit a three- to five-minute documentary that demonstrates how community leaders and architects can collaborate to create stronger communities.  

The Hippodrome will be showing “Bauhaus Spirit: 100 Years of Bauhaus,” on Nov. 7 at 8 p.m., a film about the Bauhaus artistic movement, which played an influential role in the development of the modern architecture movement, Cugini said.

Cugini said he hopes viewers will be more aware of how architecture affects their lives.

“It’s an unconscious directionality but it’s there,” Cugini said.

Contact Priya Dames at pdames@alligator.org. Follow her on Twitter @priya_dames.

The Hippodrome