<p>Pinares</p>

Pinares

A Tampa man was charged with more than a routine traffic ticket after a stop by a Gainesville police officer and K-9 unit Monday.

Humberto Pinares, 46, was following too closely behind another vehicle while traveling on State Road 93 Monday afternoon. Pinares denied consent to the ticketing officer to search his vehicle, according to the arrest report.

While conducting the traffic stop, the K-9 handler was alerted by the K-9 of a narcotic odor in the vehicle. Inside, officers found three, possibly four, fraudulent credit cards in the vehicle’s between the glove box and the dashboard. A card reader was used to determine the information stored in the magnetic strip of the cards did not match the numbers on the cards, according to the report.

Officers also found what appeared to be six gas pump keys, tools typically used to open gas pumps, which allow access to credit card information of people who paid for fuel at the pump, according to the report. Several laptops and 25 Xanax pills were found in the vehicle as well. Officers were able to confirm Pinares did not have a prescription for the controlled substance.

Pinares was charged with possession of counterfeit credit cards and possession of a controlled substance without a prescription, both felonies. Pinares was released Tuesday on $35,000 bail.

The Alligator reached out to Pinares for comment, but he could not be reached.

Pinares