UF Resident Assistant charged with battery after student accused him of trying to 'finger her,' police say

<p>Ian Milaski</p>

Ian Milaski

A UF resident assistant was arrested Wednesday night after a female student told police he tried to sexually batter her.

Ian Milaski, a 21-year-old UF economics senior, is accused of repeatedly asking the woman to have sex, grabbing her and trying “to finger her,” according to a University Police arrest report. Hours later, Milaski went to her dorm and tried lying next to her again until another person stopped him.

Milaski is being held at the Alachua County Jail in lieu of a $125,000 bond on charges of false imprisonment and battery as of Thursday evening, according to county records.

Milaski was confirmed to be a resident assistant and a UF student by UF spokesperson Steve Orlando. 

The incident was reported to UPD Wednesday night, Orlando said. An investigation started immediately and led to Milaski’s arrest prior to midnight.

The woman told police Wednesday night the incident began when Milaski called her just before 2 a.m. Sunday morning saying he was drunk and needed help, according to the arrest report. When she arrived at his room in Weaver Hall with water, which he asked her to bring, Milaski tried to “make out” with her.

The victim yelled “no” but Milaski continued, police wrote. She said Milaski then grabbed her wrist and told her, “I want to sleep with you,” and repeatedly told her this despite the victim asking him to let her leave.

Police said she told them she lied about needing to get her keys from the hallway in order to leave but Milaski picked her up and put her on the bed when she approached the door, according to the arrest report.

She told police he placed himself on top of her and tried to non-consensually “finger her” beneath her underwear, according to the arrest report. The victim told police she was able to free herself at some point and ran out of the room terrified.

The victim walked back to her room in Tolbert Hall with her two friends, one of whom stayed with her and her roommate due to her being “so shaken up and scared.”

At 4 a.m., the victim heard a noise and looked up to see the shadowed outline of a person standing in her doorway, according to the arrest report. 

“I can see you,” she said, according to the arrest report. She then told police Milaski tried to lay down next to her and yelled at him to leave. Her friend woke up and yelled at Milaski to leave as well, which he did.

Police wrote Milaski admitted to grabbing her by the wrist and asking her to sleep with him, according to the arrest report.

He is not allowed back on campus and will be arrested if he is, Orlando said. The length of the trespass violation isn’t fully determined as of Thursday afternoon. Milaski’s future position as an RA has not yet been determined either.

“We’ve never had an incident happen like this before involving an RA,” Orlando said. “Student safety is our number one priority.”

A Facebook page with Milaski’s name and a picture that resembles his mugshot also lists Milaski as a teaching assistant at the UF Heavener School of Business. Orlando was unsure if Milaski is a teaching assistant.

The Alligator made a public records request for Milaski's employee file.

Ian Milaski