Gov. Ron DeSantis to speak at UF Monday

<p><span>Florida Gov. Ron Desantis speaks about the environment to a crowd of about 50 people April 16 at the</span> <span>Steinmetz Hall courtyard.</span> </p>

Florida Gov. Ron Desantis speaks about the environment to a crowd of about 50 people April 16 at the Steinmetz Hall courtyard. 

Gov. Ron DeSantis will make a ‘major announcement’ at UF Monday. 

He will be speaking at Emerson Alumni Hall, 1938 W. University Ave., at 9 a.m., said UF spokesperson Steve Orlando.  

Orlando said he is not at liberty to elaborate on why DeSantis is coming to speak or why the governor chose to make this announcement at UF. 

DeSantis made a similar announcement before speaking at UF on April 9 at the Steinmetz Hall courtyard about environmental concerns. He announced his appointment of Thomas Frazer, the director of UF School of Natural Resources and Environment, as the state’s first chief science officer, according to The Alligator archives. 

UF College Republicans treasurer Jarrod Rodriguez said he can’t wait for DeSantis’ arrival. He said he thinks the student body will receive him well. 

“He’s delivered as governor; he has an extremely high approval rating,” Rodriguez said. “I think most recently during the hurricane he really represented how stable and strong of a leader he’s been for Florida.”

Rodriguez said he hopes DeSantis will announce his endorsement for President Trump’s reelection campaign.  

“The president did a lot for DeSantis, if you’ll remember, by endorsing him,” Rodriguez said. “I would like to see Gov. Desantis endorse the president for his campaign for reelection. I think Desantis understands that he would like to pay it back to the president.”