Veterans and supporters join together for a day of remembrance at Evergreen Cemetery

<p dir="ltr">Svetlana Scalise, 6, places a flower on the grave of a veteran Monday in Evergreen Cemetery. Her father said she had the day off and wanted to spend it giving flowers to veterans.</p>

Svetlana Scalise, 6, places a flower on the grave of a veteran Monday in Evergreen Cemetery. Her father said she had the day off and wanted to spend it giving flowers to veterans.

Veterans and loved ones joined together in silence among the graves to honor the veterans in their own community. 

More than 140 people gathered in the Evergreen Cemetery Monday afternoon to attend “A Veterans Day Remembrance,” an event honoring U.S. military veterans in Gainesville and around the world. The 163-year-old cemetery houses the graves of more than 1,000 military veterans from as long ago as the Second Seminole War in 1835.

The ceremony began with the cry of the Eastside High School Navy Junior ROTC’s bagpipes, followed by remarks from speakers William Marcanetel, a U.S. Air Force veteran; Robert Wilford, a U.S. Navy veteran; Gainesville cultural affairs manager Russell Etling; City Commissioner Gigi Simmons; Ronna Jackson, director for the Military Support Group of Alachua and Chief Chaplain Melvin Lane.

Wilford began the commencement by thanking veterans and reminding  attendees to not forget those who are serving at home and overseas.

“Our rights are safeguarded by those who serve the country,” Wilford said. “A country that steadfastly remains a beacon of freedom for the rest of the world.”

Wilford, a retired navy seal, said Veterans Day is an important reminder of the sacrifices of those who serve and the pain that families of veterans endure.

“The scars of battle are just too deep for so many,” Wilford said. “Let us never forget our military families.”

Attendees were encouraged to help prepare care packages for those serving in the military through a program organized by the Military Support Group of Alachua County. These care packages are filled with nonperishables, toiletries, stationary items and a letter of encouragement.

The Military Support Group of Alachua County has shipped more than 20,000 care packages to the U.S. military since it began in 2004, Etling said. 

Besides the speakers and care packages, the event also included poster displays.

Children enrolled in after school programs had the opportunity to participate in a patriotic poster contest. The winners of this contest were on display at this event, Etling said. 

Art Campbell, a Navy and Coast Guard veteran, attended the ceremony.

Campbell said he joined the military because it just felt natural, especially since his father served in both world wars. Four of his grandchildren are also serving in the military and his brother served in the Navy.

“We’re proud to be a military family,” he said.

Svetlana Scalise, 6, hugs Jay Koester, a 55-year-old Air Force veteran. Koester, who served from 1982-1992, said it felt good to be recognized for the service and sacrifice that many men made. He said Svetlana’s gesture was extremely touching.