Kobe Bryant dead at 41 after a helicopter crash

<p>FILE - In this Nov. 26, 2013 file photo Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant smiles during a media availability before an NBA basketball game against the Washington Wizards in Washington. The Retired NBA superstar has died in helicopter crash in Southern California, Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)</p>

FILE - In this Nov. 26, 2013 file photo Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant smiles during a media availability before an NBA basketball game against the Washington Wizards in Washington. The Retired NBA superstar has died in helicopter crash in Southern California, Sunday, Jan. 26, 2020. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)

Former NBA legend Kobe Bryant died in a helicopter crash Sunday afternoon, according to multiple sources.

TMZ was first to report the news of Bryant’s death. He was 41 years old and was one of nine people killed in the helicopter when it crashed, according to The Los Angeles Times. His 13-year-old daughter Gianna was on board as well and died in the crash.

Bryant played 20 seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers, winning five NBA Titles, one MVP award and he became the first player in history to have multiple jersey numbers retired. He was named to 18 All-Star teams, the second most all time.

He retired as the No. 3 scorer in NBA history but was passed Saturday night by current Laker LeBron James in a game against the 76ers in Bryant’s hometown of Philadelphia.

Bryant tweeted his respect to James for the accomplishment.

In 1996, Bryant was drafted out of Lower Merion High with the 13th overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets. He was soon after traded to the Lakers where he played until his retirement in 2016.

In his final NBA game he scored 60 points and his 81 points scored against the Toronto Raptors in 2006 remains the second-most points scored in a game in league history.

His exploits and awards expanded off the court. His animated short film “Dear Basketball,” which illustrated his retirement letter, won a Sports Emmy and an Oscar.