Celebrating the 34th Annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day

<p>Trinity Thomas</p>

Trinity Thomas

She lands with her hands in the air. Her teammates run in to celebrate. Over 9,000 fans are screaming and cheering. A perfect 10.

On Jan. 24, Trinity Thomas, from York, Pennsylvania, became the 14th different Gators gymnast to score a perfect ten in program history.

Today marks the 34th Annual National Girls and Women in Sports Day. The day was created by the Women’s Sports Foundation to celebrate and encourage women to become leaders in sports and life.

The University of Florida is home to 11 Division I women’s sports teams.

Thomas began gymnastics at just 7 years old.

“There is always going to be people who tell you, you can’t do it,” she said. “But I think, for me anyway, you have to use that to fuel you.”

Thomas believes that gymnastics at UF has helped boost her confidence, something she struggled with when she was younger. “The fans fuel me,” she said.

Thomas describes how it feels on the floor when fans are screaming as “the coolest thing.”

“The O’Dome shakes,” she said.

Thomas is now a sophomore with a long list of accomplishments, including being a five-time All-American and being named a SEC Gymnast of the Week five times.

Amara Wiggan from Orlando is a weight and hammer thrower on UF’s track and field team. Last year at the SEC Indoor Championships, Wiggan placed sixth in the weight throw, winning three points for the team.

Wiggan, who is a part of the Student Athletic Advisory Committee (SAAC), has been able to attend the SEC Leadership Conference, which has put a “big emphasis on women's sports being properly represented at everything,” she said.

Though men’s basketball and football dominate the SEC and NCAA, Wiggan said, “They [SEC] want to make sure every sport has a voice, women’s sports especially.”

Wiggan looks up to Olympic champions, Serena Williams and Simone Biles, who are a great representation of strong black women in sports.

Being on the the track team has shown Wiggan how powerful women are because “They are just as fast, jump just as far and throw just as far as the boys can.”

UF’s women’s teams definitely speak for themselves when it comes to success, Wiggan said, but she feels like UF does a great job at showcasing and letting people know when the women’s teams are doing great on social media.

Wiggan said she has noticed a big call for women in the sports industry. “We just had a female football coach in the Super Bowl,” she said.

She believes more professional leagues are realizing the contributions that women can have to their staff.

“I truly think male athletes thrive with a female presence,” said Wiggan. “I know one of our associate coaches, Mellanee Welty, has a really great connection with the boys on our team and I think they definitely look to her for a calming and guiding presence.”

Wiggan said she feels a shift as tons of women are getting sports management degrees and sports administration masters.

“That will only hopefully lead to more women being in those administrative or coaching roles, which I think is great,” Wiggan said.

On Feb. 23, at the women’s basketball game versus Arkansas, Wiggan, alongside other female athletes will be leading sports and self-confidence activities before the game for girls 12 and under. There will be giveaways and highlights of UF’s women athletes throughout the game.

Trinity Thomas